WELCOME TO MY BLOG

Blog about my memories as I recollect them!
Enjoy and Follow

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Revisit Plus

I need to revisit the house that we lived in that was owned by Mr. Gaston King.  I don't know how most people feel about eating wild game, but that is one thing I never acquired a taste for. Although, I know that in the olden days and even the days when I grew up sometimes it was eat wild game or go hungry.
Anyway, my brother and possibly my Dad used to go hunting for squirrels and I guess doves, and quail. Well, if you had an older brother, you know how they loved to torment their younger sisters especially!!! One night Momma had cooked some squirrel that he had killed, all nice in gravy, with biscuits and I don't remember what else. All I remember is that I said I don't want any squirrel and I will not eat any squirrel. Well, Mr. big shot Wayne, put some squirrel on my plate, knowing how I felt about eating it and was going to make me eat it. Well, he might as well have slapped me!!! I started bawling like he HAD slapped me!! I don't know if I ate anything or not, but I do know I did not eat squirrel!!!! Of course, he laughed and laughed and said poor little thing, don't want no squirrel. heh,heh! I was pretty old before I would eat catfish, wouldn't even consider it. Still not my favorite fish.

Now I did cook some doves and quail after I got married, but could not stand to eat the doves and only tasted the quail. I may have cooked squirrel, but I grant you I did not eat it!

Now my Momma used to clean and cook opossum and sweet potatoes. I was at home one day when she was cleaning one and boy!! I never smelled anything that stunk so bad!!! But she cooked him and ate it. I don't know if anyone else  ate it or not. I figure she had eaten that stuff growing up. She was raised out around Ino Commuity, way in the country. This happened when we lived in Opp on 7th Avenue.

Talking about my older brother and how he tormented me and Juanita.  We could build us a playhouse in the yard using pieces of wood, broken dishes, sticks and our imagination and have the best time, but Mr. Wayne could run through it and tear it down and think he was really something. Of course, we started hollering Momma! Momma! make him quit!!!

Then we had paper dolls!!! Prettiest things you ever saw, whole families.We cut out pictures from the Sears & Roebuck catalog and would set them up against books, boxes or whatever and be have such fun imaginary fantasies with our paper families. Oh, the places we would go and the games we would play. Well, Mr. Wayne would come by with a paper or his hat or whatever and holler: "Tornado, or storm"! Then he would simply blow our playhouses away!!! Again, Momma! Momma! Make him stop!!!!

Then there were the times when Juanita and I would just be playing dolls or something and he would walk by and take the hand of one of us and hit the other one, starting a fight between us unless we saw him, then we hollered: Momma! Momma! make him stop.

One other thing I can't stand is roaches!!! or insects in general.  He and Juanita both were guilty of this trick. they would find a dead roach and hold it by one leg and chase me all over the house, with me screaming bloody murder!! Again, Momma! Momma! make them stop!!! I still can't stand roaches, mice or spiders, but I can manage to kill them if they get close to me, and FLIES!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment